Sunday, September 4, 2011

Ready to Play


A boy, full of hope,
Asked coach Ray;
“Can I suit up?
I want to play!”

The coach smiled
And looked at his paper.
“See here kid,
You’re on the roster”

The boy leaped for joy
And ran back home
So happy, this little boy,
That he told his mom,

“It was like a dream,
It’s such a great day.
I’m on the team,
I will go and play!”

A game rolled along
His stomach wrenched,
But the time was wrong
From he sat the bench.

The next one soon came
He cheered loud and hard,
No play time this game.
But he asked with all his heart;

“I’ve been feeling low,
What must I say?
Let me in coach,
I’m ready to play!"

Coach then told him,
“I’m truly sorry,
You’ll get to go in
Don’t you worry.”

Games three and four,
Both came and went.
The boy’s team scores
While he warms the bench.

Wearing the ninety-two
He’ll ask all day
“Let me show you,
I’m ready to play!”

The boy doesn’t give up,
He persists again.
The coach looks up
And begins to grin.

The season’s almost over,
The last game begins
The coach walks over
And lifts the boy’s chin,

“We’re down by one,
This is the last play.
Get in there son!
You’re ready to play.”

No comments:

Post a Comment